A blog by moms, for moms about pregnancy, parenting and everything else!

Monday, September 21, 2009

Potty Experiment

After breakfast the other morning, I took A's shirt off to wash it. Then she asked to take her pants off, then she asked to take her diaper off. She kept saying poo so I sat her on the toilet for a minute. When nothing happened I took her off & she flushed...which she loves doing.

With great struggle, we put her diaper back on but as I was changing her sheets she took it off. I figured I'd just keep a close eye on her and rush her to the toilet at the slightest sign of an accident.

She came down stairs to help me put her laundry in the washer. The sound of the running water must have done it's job (totally unintentional on my part) because she started to pee. I jumped up, she stopped peeing, I grabbed her & we ran upstairs to the toilet. She sat there for a minute, but nothing.

We got her dressed after that. And thankfully, she kept her clothes on.

How do you know when your child is ready for potty training? A is 18 months and I'm afraid she views the toilet as a toy rather than what it really is.

5 comments:

Katherine said...

Wow! You are very brave to start potty training so young. I obviously don't have much expertise in this area as my daughter is not potty trained! But, I've heard from others not to push the issue until your child is interested and old enough to understand.

Someone once told me that potty training is the one item that is completely in your childs control and out of yours! If you push it on them when they aren't ready, it will become a battle that you lose every time. Be patient and I'm sure it'll happen when she's ready!

Gretchen said...

I DREAD potty training. I was able to witness the beauty of a 1 YEAR OLD that was potty trained once. I couldn't believe it, can you imagine the joy :) But I have heard similar to Katherine, when they are ready, it will happen and be easier. I don't have any advice to offer bc I haven't had to climb this mountain yet, but good luck :)

Paul*Cat*Hallie*Ty said...

My daughter is 19 mon. old and is very curious about the potty. Some days she tells me she has to go potty, other days she's not really interested. She has gone several times but most of the time when I take her she sits, trys and then nothing. Either way she proudly exclaims "all done!" I feel like I'm letting her do it on her own time but I also want her to feel comfortable about the potty when she is really ready to use it.

Kristen said...

I am currently (still) pottytraining my fourth and he is
3 1/2. Make it fun but it has to be their idea. With my first I turned into a tyrant thinking he should get it because I wanted him to and decided it was time. I look back now and I hate how I was with him, I waited until the other ones were ready and it went much smoother.

Unknown said...

My 2 1/2 year old daughter potty trained herself last month. I bought her a little potty and a potty movie. She would watch the movie/use the potty on occasion. Then one day she just decided it was time. She asked for undies and that was that. She has been great ever since. It is totally in your child's court and you shouldn't push it on them, because then it will take 10 times longer and be negative. They will do it when they are ready.